Search This Blog

Saturday, April 09, 2022

The Kiko Saga so far

 I inherited my mom's cat, Kiko, when mom broke her hip and could no longer care for her since she is an indoor cat.  Dad chose Kiko at the shelter even though he was only going to look.  Her predecessor, Lovey, was a friendly, cuddly cat, and it's hard not to compare.  Kiko spent may hours sleeping with my dad in the four years before he passed.  She sat next to his urn as if she knew.  

Kiko is an unusual cat compared to Lovey and all the Siamese cats I grew up with.  She only allows 3 pets then she bites.  She is not big on brushing although allows a few brushes.  She would only sleep curled up near my legs.  She was a finicky eater and a vomiter. The vet had seen her several times for this problem and everything was aok.  

When she came to live with me she had a protracted vomiting episode and was diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis and mild colitis.  My son and I try as we could could not get her to take her oral medications.  I watched numerous you tubes and all those cats loved to take medications.  Luckily for me she responded to the parenteral antibiotic without side effects.  During this time I tried whatever the Pet store had in the way of foods and snacks, trying to entice her to eat.  I tried all the novel proteins like her first vet recommended.  She tasted but then refused.  Finally she would eat Hills roasted chicken, but spit out the carrots.  I found out cats are obligate carnivores but the pet industry thinks cats should have carrots or pumpkin or brown rice.  Fiber you know.  When she refused that, I switched to Sheba since the feral cat next door loves her Sheba.  Kiko liked the chicken, whitefish/tuna and salmon shrimp.  They all smell bad.  ick.  She also went back to eating her kibble and some days she only wants that.  So life perked along.  She had one vet adventure with an abscess that healed nicely with drainage and the parenteral antibiotic shot.  

A few weeks ago she suddenly became afraid of me.  She abandoned me for the upstairs room with the rug.  The downstairs has no carpet because it's easier for me to get around with my walker and wheelchair.   My son lives up there and he took videos of her rolling on the rug, trying all of them include the one around the toilet.  At first I was worried, but she clearly is not physically ill.  She is not a total cave cat, because she continues to come down to eat, drink water and use her kitty litter.  She likes to sit by the front door.  She creeps around my room, but started "speaking" to me in demanding tone, as apparently she can't stand the sight of an empty food dish.  I'm ignoring her until she get's bored with upstairs.  It's kind of nice not to worry about her vomiting on my bed.  

I did crochet her a cat pod, which she has ignored so far.  I love how it turned out.  Maybe it's too small?



Pattern:  Cat Pod/Cave by Alley Cats and Angels of NC

Yarn:  Megaball Aran, by Hobbii

I put her blanket in it and my son took upstairs to the carpeted bedroom and she poked her head in it when he scratched it on the outside.  Oh well, I should be glad she is not a cave cat, as according to the Cat Whisperer, there is nothing more sad then a cave cat.  

So that's how it stands.  I will fess up and say I have bought cat junk food for her.  Not sure what Greenies have in them that makes her love them so.  I'm limiting her to 3 a day!  Well maybe 4.  

Besides the catpod, I crocheted Astri Throw.



Pattern:  Astri by Arne and Carlos.  

Yarn:  Rainbow Cotton 8/8 from Hobbi.  This is 100% cotton and comes a wonderful springy colors.  It made for a heavy throw.  I meant to make it smaller but making the flowers was so addicting!

The flower are similar to the African flower since it ends up being a hexagon.  Thus my final throw is and elongated hexagon.  The geometry still blows my mind.  Why can't a hexagon make a square, lol.  Pythagoras would know.  

Finally for fun, Mint Chocolate Chip, or Chip for short, from a galaxy falr away.  

Pattern:  Baby Yoda by Kim Konen

Yarn:  Rainbow Cotton for body and Vanna's choice for his garb.  I made him a bit smaller since Rainbow cotton is more of a DK weight, and used to size 4 needle to knit him.  I also knit a base and put some polybeads in the bottom to give him a bit more weight.  Shorted the ears by a few rows, and gathered the back of the shawl to fit him better.  

No comments: