Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010



Pattern: Sunny, Sunny, Sunny by Carol Sulcosky
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic, navy blue.
Needles: size 3,4

On the plus side, I really like the yarn and the cute hearts and idea of knitting a yoke and adding fabric. On the minus side portions of the instructions were not clear to me and in the end there were many ends to weave in in additions to some knots in the yarn. If I make another I think I'll forgo the shoulder shaping and do a 3 needle bind-off for the shoulders. Now to find some cute fabric for the skirt.

Brownie got a little gray friend.


I grew up calling this area Kawainui Swamp. The actual name is Kawai Nui Marsh. It is one of those places I've driven by for years and today I actually took the little 1.5 mile trail along the levee. It is a very easy walk and it was a beautiful day. My blogless baby sister flew in yesterday and joined us for the walk. We met "Al" a regular walker, who shared stories about the cultural significance and also related stories about the mushroom farm in the bomb shelter.

Addenda, 1/29/10: from dictionary.com (to answer my own question)
swamp: a tract of wet, spongy land, often having a growth of certain types of trees and other vegetation, but unfit for cultivation.

marsh: a tract of low wet land, often treeless and periodically inundated, generally characterized by a growth of grasses, sedges, cattails, and rushes.

bog: wet, spongy ground with soil composed mainly of decayed vegetable matter.

Addenda: 2/7/2010, one more word mentioned by blogless Kathy O.
billabong: An Australian English word meaning a small lake, specifically an oxbow lake, a section of still water adjacent to a river, cut off by a change in the watercourse, cf. an oxbow lake.



After the walk, blogless Melody, multitasking extraordinaire, came to the house and we put together some fabric postcards. We planned to sew the cards, too, but she forgot her power cord, and my aging 1530 Bernina decided to just sew backwards. The time was well spent designing and we came up with 11 cards. For lunch we had Eggplant Casserole and tossed greens.









On the knitting scene, Baktus is plugging along in some strange and unusual colors. I have two balls and the first is almost done. Baktus has 2794 projects and is in 2370 queues on Ravelry. Strikkelise is so kind to share this pretty mindless pattern. It is a great project to watch movies with.
For my next project, I'm perusing sock patterns and will probably go with Firestarter by Yarnissima in either STR lightweight Typhoon Tina, or Trekking Pro Natura by Zitron in gold/olive. The pattern is free on Ravelry. Yup the sock mojo is giving me a nudge.

No comments: