Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reuben Sandwich

I've always loved Reuben Sandwich's.  I did not have corned beef and cabbage on the 17th since I was expecting my sister, the Sky Goddess to be here to cook, but she didn't come in until today.  I cooked the corned beef by it's lonesome and got some Bubbies Sauerkraut, and some Swiss cheese.  For the bread, I decided to use that bread flour I've had in stash for a while. Of course this lead to shopping for the other items needed like rye flour. 

I used the recipe from the Smitten Kitchen.  Some of the recipes have pickle juice in them so I picked this one because it did not have any.  This was a fussy recipe which created a sponge, and was kneaded about 4 times. The author warns 8 hours is needed to make this.   The only modification I made besides grinding my caraway seeds,  was to bake it in a bread pan on 375 degrees for 45 mininues, instead of a round loaf on a pan sprinkled with cornmeal, with slashes in the top.  If I must say so myself it was  a big success, even with the puka (hole) that formed.

The Sky Goddess whipped up some easy Russian dressing for the inside.  This was the first time I'd tried the Bubbies Sauerkraut, and it was delish!  Mom whipped up a salad some Admiral Guiler's Turtle Soup to top off the meal.  On a side note, the Bubbies site says the Chinese invented sauerkraut!  Learn something new every day.

1 comment:

kbrow said...

Oh my goodness! This looks great. I have yet to make my St. Paddy's meal, as well, but I might do it this weekend, depending on what's available at the groceteria.

A few months ago, Pat and I went out to a place here called The General Muir, and I had a veggie reuben. Usually they are made with tempeh (a combo I like very much) but this one was made with ... SMOKED BEETS! It was very good, and awfully strange, at once. But I like a traditional one, too.