Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

FO: Chelsea's Cowl

Pattern:  Rivington Cowl, by Kirsten Kapur. Purchased as a kit at Stitches Midwest, 2014. $7 of the purchase price was donated to Chelsea's Light Foundation

Yarn: 
Light Fingering / 3 ply
50% Merino, 40% Alpaca, 10% Nylon 
 
Jilly (main color) 
Fingering / 4 ply
100% Merino 
 
Needles-size 6
 
Modifications:  I was a little worried I would run out yarn on the lace and found using a third needle to knit it on too fiddly for knitting on an airplane. So I substituted the Vogue Acorn Lace pattern which fit perfectly on the 192 stitch CO and had acorns (yay!).  I used the circs I knit the body with to knit the lace, a provisional CO and purled one row.  The first row was the wrong side, and when I came to the purl2tog on row 2, I purled 3 together including one stitch from the body to join it on.

Comments:  The final project blocked to 55 inches around and 10 inches wide.  The yarn fuzzed a bit as I knit (and frogged) but the final result was nice and soft.  The color work is more like knitting stripes with the yarn not in use carried up, so the body was quite simple. 

2 comments:

susanne said...

Beautiful! I have been into shawls, cowls and scarves lately. I am always thinking, "just one more".
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Acornbud said...

Thanks Susanne!