Thursday, June 11, 2009
Project Spectrum Yellow, Free Red Scarf Pattern, 3x3 slip stitch rib
Project Spectrum yellow is flying by. The yarn stashed has not been wound into balls and I suspect will not become a project in time. Nature came through with a spectacular array of Gold Trees this year. The trees were covered with the bright yellow blossoms not unlike the cherry blossom trees I saw in Tokyo. Click the link to see a beautiful example. I was never able to capture one to my liking but the second photo in the mosaic shows a closeup of a baby one near my house.
The yellow plumeria that overhangs my driveway is in full bloom. This is a great lei flower. I tried to capture the great hedge of yellow popcorn orchids around the corner on my walk. It's so much better in person. I transplanted mine this year and they have just sat there doing nothing. (I'm just happy they didn't die, a real possibility for any plant in my patio)
My only partially yellow project is Leafling, in Koigu. I have only one sock. It's a little large, and would have been better off CO 60 instead of 66 stitches. I wonder if it will be a single sock?
While pondering what to do with over 1000yards of russet red Anne, having frogged and attempted a spiral shawl numerous times, I read Now Norma Knits post and got inspired by the Red Scarf Project.
I doubled the Anne and used a size 10 needle to knit the Yarn Harlot's One Row Handspun Scarf. The yarn was much or orange-y then the online photo appeared and had very little variation in color. However, doubling the yarn really made the color richer. It was a miracle. Unfortunately on reading the fine print on the project page I found the "no mohair" clause. Schaefer Anne is 25% mohair. It's a nice little scarf and is slightly longer the 60 inches. I used up all but a few inches of one skein. Perhaps someone will buy it and I can donate the money to the red scarf project.
So red scarf number 2 is on it's way. This one is Cascade 220 Superwash in a nice deep red. It's my own version of a one row knit scarf. I have not seen this used as a pattern but my resources are limited. It makes a nice fat 3x3 ribbing that does pull in some like all good ribbing.
*pattern moved to another post