Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Black Wednesday and The Strange Ribby Cardi



Pattern: Chicknits Ribby Cardi
Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Knit Picks Andean Silk , 55% Super Fine Alpaca, 23% Silk, 22% Merino Wool
Needles: Knit Picks Options, size 11

I didn't really get gauge with this yarn. The person I made it for is very tiny, but I'm thinking this is way tiny and the arms will only fit a spider. The biggest drawback to this pattern is the seams. I think EZ wrote in one of her books that she does anything to avoid ending up with 5 pieces. Way back when, I learned to set in seams with a back stitch, and I'm not sure I liked how they turned out but the mattress stitch just wasn't working for me. The raglan neck portion is very pointed and has no shoulders and the collar looks way small. However, I'm persevering and will have the tiny lady try it on. Keep your fingers crossed!

Ella is going by fits. I keep thinking I can fix an error by dropping down stitches and although there are big holes in this pattern, I have one that is really huge and is starting to bug me.

I suppose this is just the crap at work oozing into my creative energy. I went for a massage today, watched my TV shows and look forward to the Monday holiday. I have men in my patio working on my fence and they are odd critters. Must be the power tools. Took my dad out to lunch. He has started to repeat himself so now I have to listen to him tell me how to run my life 3 times! At 87 he is starting to look fragile so I hold my tongue. Good thing Aloha Knitters is tomorrow night. I've started the bitchin' early.

I started the blue Child's First Sock in Koigu. Aah Koigu! A very bright spot:) I shall take this to knit on as Ella is misbehaving.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooh - it looks great. I love that pattern.

Rachel said...

I hope things start looking up for you soon. Sometimes things can pile up, and we just want to scream! Have fun at your knitting group. I wish I had a knitting group around here. Oh well.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I hate seaming too and try to avoid it at all costs. I think sleeve and foot sizing is why I would rather knit shawls! Nevertheless your cardi looks fab and I'll cross my fingers for you. Hugs to you in helping your dad. I always have to remember that our families mean well. (HUG)
=:8

beadlizard said...

I love mattress stitch. I know, I'm nuts. Your zipper treatment looks very good!

Those sleeves will stretch more than you expect. Margene and I both altered the sleeve caps for broad shoulders. I ended up adding at least 3 extra ribs right up the center of the sleeve plus a much slower dec to the cap, with gathers at the top to increase the fullness. It is pretty loose, which DD prefers.

Opal said...

The Ribby Cardigan looks great! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Anonymous said...

I really hate it when my knitting misbehaves. Have a great three day weekend, I wish that I did!

Anonymous said...

Oh - but this cardi looks totally awesome, what a truly amazing pattern! Like you, I so totally hate seaming - no matter how hard I try and how much I concentrate, I can't seem to get seams working for me - neither in mattress stitch nor any other version. Seaming just isn't made for me, I'm afraid, and yet it has to be done most of the time unfortunately. We should all switch to knitting top down raglans only - no seaming, what a paradise this must be! ;)
But hey - fingers crossed that it'll fit - I'm sure it does!

Anonymous said...

What a great looking sweater!

Enjoy your day off...sounds like you've earned it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the work stress. I remember the hospital stress well. I can't believe i'm willing to get back into it again. Actually, I don't have much of a choice (tuition is increasing every year!). My mom tells me how to run my life several times a day! Maybe it's the medical field. Ha! Ha! Take good care - psyche totoro sends his love too!

Kimberly said...

Oh gosh, I'm soo behind on my reading. You've made such gorgeous goods! I just finished my first ribby and absolutely love it. Yours looks great in black! Good job!