Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sushi

Well I hate to give candsmon more quilt but some mommy's make Cute Bento for their children's school lunches. But maybe she is blessed with children like mine, with more simple tastes. I was able to get away with peanut butter and jelly and, cold cuts and cheese (no mayo) for years. I actually attemped more healthy lunches, but they wouldn't eat them. They are cheese/meat/carb kind of people, just like their dad. I once had a major argument with my oldest about tofu, and I am still haunted by the experience.

BTW, a bento is a prepacked lunch. The Japanese have turned it into an art form, and even have special boxes for them. Sushi is a generic rice "sandwich" that is now made with all kinds of additives and shapes, including raw fish (sashimi) and spam (yikes!) and traditional vegies like pickled radish, shiso, and gourd. Ideally the lunches do not contain items that spoil easily as the bento may not be refrigerated for a while, but since California invented the California roll, refrigeration is more common.

I hope my first skein of Lorna's Laces comes in the mail soon with my long Addi turbos. I want to try the magic loop technique for my next project. I am stalking the mailperson, but so far no luck :(

I am contemplating a closure for the Lush sweater. It looks very nice, but I am not sure it will fit my sister. The fulling made it all a little more solid and this yarn is very, very warm!

2 comments:

chris said...

This mommy is definitely not a very good mommy! How CUTE is that bento?! Too cute to eat, that's for sure. Luckily, Bossy and Stinky like soy butter and jelly sandwiches. (Stinky's deathly allergic to peanut butter) I remember my mom making me bento for special field trips in school- that was always the highlight. Not the field trip, but the bento. :-) Looking forward to seeing your Lorna's Laces and Lush!

knittinmom said...

Mmm, sushi! I don't think Sydney would have anything at all to do with it, though... She's on the all Cheerios all the time diet.

Have a ball with your Lorna's Laces! I love that stuff.