Search This Blog

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Innspiration from past issue of Piecework




I keep the May/June 1998 issue of Piecework because of this jaw dropping masterpiece of lace knitting. A woman named Bridget Rorem knit this wedding veil for her daughter. It is a great labor of love. It is knit of fine Merino wool spun in Italy, weights 8 ounces, and was knit on a size 000 circular needle. It took about a year. She knit in design patterns and words personal to herself and daughter. On the fourth side she knit in the last two lines of a poem by William Yates
"I lift the glass to my mouth, I look at you, and I sigh".

I dug that UFO black lace shawl out, Hmmmm. Where did that pattern go?

1 comment:

chris said...

That is absolutely awe inspiring! I guess I must not love my kids as much as I think I do (oh great, more guilt!), because I could NEVER imagine knitting something on triple 0 needles for a YEAR!! That's true love.