Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Tour de Fleece Finale

It was a fun Tour this year.  The actual Tour was blessed with great weather and beautiful scenery. I never did find a channel here to watch it on so just watched it peripherally on their site.  It's all about the spinning.  I'm amazed that so many men devote so much time for training and 3 weeks of racing.

Me, I do not train for the Tour de Fleece.  I do acquire fiber and tools as the the time draws year.  This year I had fun with a loaner drum carder and blending board.  It seemed it was a purpley pinkey sort of year.

I bought my first Namaste Farms Scrapboxes.  One is still en route.  I'm mostly admiring them and practicing my skills.  My last completed project for this year was a small skein of leftover stuff.  I did a sample of corespinning and coils.  It's is still wet.  I'm not sure if it will dry what with Hurricane Darby passing over and a steady stream of rain, thunder and lightning.  I hope the utilities hold!

Purple sampler.  Polwarth, merino, silk and bamboo.  It was rather fun to make.  The coils are very random so I don't know how they will knit up.

The project I didn't get to was plying my over spun art yarn.  I'm thinking I will try a thread with sequins.  I have the sequins but haven't chosen a thread and can't decide whether the thread will need some twist added or not.  I'm thinking twist would be good since I want a ply and not a wrap.

I didn't quite finish enough green cotton to ply.  I improved my Tahkli technique.  I tend to stop spinning when the cops are quite small, ending up with small skeins.  My pu-yok spindle from Malcom Fielding is also in the mail, so I didn't have an opportunity to try it out.





I'm quite pleased with my pile of finished skeins. What do they want to be?




That is my spinning buddy on the TV in the background.  I never found Order of the Phoenix DVD but there it was on HBO.  Still have the Deathly Hallows to go.  The spinning stuff will be put away for awhile as the sewing room cleanup is calling.


No comments: